Re: Western Pacific Mixed Trains
Author: SP5103
Date: 12-15-2016 - 20:18

Isn't there a former WP wood combine that was originally D&RGW preserved (CSRM @ Sacramento?) that used to be on the B&L or Reno local?

I seem to recall hearing that there had been an intent to extend a section of the Empire Builder down the Inside Gateway and on to Oakland via WP. Too bad the depression put a damper on those plans. Even the Modoc couldn't justify continuing passenger service - not sure it was US395 or just too sparse of a population base.

I read somewhere there was some limited WP mixed train service on the Inside Gateway. I can't give much credence to someone forging WP timetables, what is the financial or other incentive? Somehow you should be able to find a consistent collection of WP timetables based on date and number.

Where mixed trains did or did not continue is interesting. Around WW2 SP managed to kill all the mixed train service in Oregon with their Oregon Stage Lines filling in, though some secondary passenger service hung on a while longer (Siskiyou and Coos Bay). Mina went a surprising long time considering US95 provided access and there were so few towns. Arizona had mixed trains in 1960 out of Benson to Fairbank, Patagonia and Tombstone, French and Clifton, but a few years later they were gone. Not sure how long one or two in Texas lasted.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Western Pacific Mixed Trains Eugene 12-15-2016 - 11:10
  Re: Western Pacific Mixed Trains An Observer 12-15-2016 - 16:15
  Re: Western Pacific Mixed Trains SP5103 12-15-2016 - 20:18
  Re: Western Pacific Mixed Trains trainjunkie 12-16-2016 - 03:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com