Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad #Guadalupe
Author: Nudge
Date: 01-07-2017 - 13:51

I took an unpaid vacation back in the early 70s. I had only been running for about a year. I was called for a work train with 2 units and a ribbon rail train. We took the train to Guadalupe and they gave us our work orders. Off we went towards Surf. Well, we put down about 2 lengths around Shuman and the rear unit kept getting the low oil button. It would idle but die over run 3. We finally had to leave the train at Devon and go back to Guadalupe cab hop. We pulled into the siding at the east end and pulled up to a cut of beet racks that were sitting in the siding. The conductor and I walked over to the depot so we could get our work orders busted and be cleared up as an extra to SLO. We told the operator that we would be there for the plug (#12) and then we would head for SLO. He said, "Its your railroad". #12 went by and we backed out the east crossover and started west. We had 30" to make a 35" run to East SLO on No. 832. I threw the throttle in Run 8 and off we went. Starting into the right hand curve I saw Rodger Jerdie, the Conductor on on the Guadalupe switcher, jump out from between an mty beet rack on the pass, giving me a wash out. I plugged them. I knew we were going to hit something, I didn't know where, either the house track switch or west crossover. The fireman and head man were already out the front door standing on the steps ready to jump. I went out the back door ran down the long hood, and crossed over to the trailing unit. I thought about jumping but we were still going too fast. I ran to the cab of the trailing unit, shut the door and got on the floor and braced myself. Then the engine started to shake and the window on the firemans side started to crack and the frame buckle. The water cooler tipped over on my leg and a box car was going by in slow motion, letter by letter S O U T H E R N P A C..... and we stopped.

The Guadalupe switcher had started to head out the west crossover, to make a shove back to the house track. We caught them when they were still in the X-over.

Both engineers and both conductors were fired and the 2 brakeman and my fireman got 60 demerits. We were charged with violation of Rule 513 and 514. Entering the main track between switches and not proceeding at restricted until the next signal and track could be seen as clear. The Local was charged for entering the main line between switches and not proving a flag to stop a train coming at the posted speed. (50mph)

It took me 94 days to get back, but I got the Guadalupe hoghead back in 2 weeks. My conductor never marked up and retired. Rodger got back in about 90 days. We deserved it. I put some of the blame on the operator with his statement but we were the ones that screwed up.

I was told that rule was put into the book because of the wreck in Guadalupe 20 years before when a steam engine (mallet)was switching the siding and backed out to foul the mainline when the SF was coming through with a brand new set of diesels. Thats when they made the west switch a crossover.

Nudge

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A story of getting fired from the railroad pnw 01-06-2017 - 18:04
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Tom Farence 01-06-2017 - 19:02
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Nudge 01-07-2017 - 13:09
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad #Guadalupe Nudge 01-07-2017 - 13:51
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad DCA 01-07-2017 - 15:21
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Tom Farence 01-07-2017 - 16:41
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Craig Tambo 01-07-2017 - 17:32
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad NdeM 01-08-2017 - 10:54
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad BOB2 01-08-2017 - 11:36
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad WAF 01-09-2017 - 12:13
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Craig Tambo 01-09-2017 - 13:45
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Al Stangenberger 01-09-2017 - 16:31
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad TruthTeller 01-09-2017 - 18:25
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Dr Zarkoff 01-09-2017 - 18:32
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad Craig Tambo 01-09-2017 - 23:11
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad A reader 01-10-2017 - 10:58
  Re: A story of getting fired from the railroad WAF 01-10-2017 - 11:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com