Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch
Author: Chad
Date: 07-18-2008 - 18:50

I would highly recommend Portland and Western to operate this route. Basd upon their presence in Oregon, despite being owned by Gennessee & Wyoming RailRoad, they are very local oriented. During my grad school days, my research team interviewed one of their Vice Presidents in Salem regarding the partnership between them and Tri-met. I found them very helpful and wanting to serve the local community. They have significantly raised traffic since taking over the local Oregon routes. They came through on the Lewis & Clark tourist train to Astoria after Amtrack bailed out. Hopefully we can also get the Port of Tilamook Bay Railroad going again as they feed into PNWR.

As far as the Rail America and CORP wanting to abandon the line, here is my opine. CORP (rail Aermica) should be punished for an illegal embargo. Since they choose to systematically defer maintenance, it was their fault for the tunnel conditions. The STB shoul make them restore them to operational condition along with any other issues on the line. Then, they can abandon. Thus Port of Coos Bay takes over and allows PNWR to operate.

Looking big picture, the CORP shutdowns to Coos Bay is not isolated when you compare other railroads as part of Rail America and the now Fortress Investment Group (FIG). FIG has stopped service on Mare Island and in Tulure spur, in addition to limiting service over the Siskiyous. FIG accountants have been evil. Their actions have allowed them to bail Michael Jackson's neverland ranch. They have the money, they just choose to not reinvest in the railroads.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch Coos Bay Branch Fan 07-18-2008 - 13:42
  Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch Chad 07-18-2008 - 18:50
  Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch mook 07-18-2008 - 22:19
  Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch OldPoleBurner 07-19-2008 - 11:55
  Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch Dennis 07-19-2008 - 13:30
  Re: Port of Coos Bay STB filing to take over Coos Bay Branch John Nixon 07-20-2008 - 06:01

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com