Re: Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ?
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 04-26-2017 - 06:09

Gotta head to work in a few minutes so rather than plow through my SI/Washy notes folder I'll attempt to recall some of the manifest symbols through Eastport, ID, from CP to UP off the top of my head. Folks with more facts at their fingertips, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Way back when, you had the CPHK. Then came the ETHK, which later became the M-ETHK. About 15 years or so ago, they launched the Q-EDRV, a relatively short train whenever I saw it, mostly Canadian grain bound for central California feedlots and a smattering of ammonia, propane, and whatever else Canada had for the Cal market. That Q symbol was short-lived and eventually mutated into a Q- or M-EDHK.

Nowadays, I'm hearing M-ETHK and Q-ETHK on the radio routinely. Can't remember the last time I heard of an Edmonton symbol coming through Eastport, although ED and ET do sound nearly identical over the radio.

As for lumber, the volumes out of Canada have varied in recent years due to the ever-changing housing climate and other factors. Can't see what comes down the WA coast or through Sweetgrass, MT, but BNSF brings plenty of centerbeams down from north-central WA on the H-CWHSPO with Canadian mill wraps on those bundles. Whatever Canadian lumber UP brings down from Eastport often gets buried behind additional lumber loads which the Hinkle-bound trains pick up at Samuels, ID, and Trentwood, WA. Those additional loads having been gathered by locals working northern Idaho mills.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ? Pdxrailtransit 04-25-2017 - 19:27
  Re: Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ? White River Junction 04-25-2017 - 20:06
  Re: Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ? BN Oly 04-25-2017 - 21:13
  Re: Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ? Bruce Kelly 04-26-2017 - 06:09
  Re: Canada-U.S. Thru Freights ? A1 04-26-2017 - 12:16
  Thanks Bruce! Pdxrailtransit 04-26-2017 - 12:33
  Re: Thanks Bruce! Bruce Kelly 04-26-2017 - 16:34
  Re: Thanks Bruce! Goatboat 04-27-2017 - 15:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com