Re: RR Careers
Author: NdeM
Date: 05-25-2017 - 16:59

Hi Ryan,

I think that you chose a good forum to ask questions about railroad industry careers. In general, for quality of life considerations, avoid train service. It sure looks fun from the "foamer" vantage point, but as you have read, there are a lot of sacrifices made.

Allow me to contrast two good friends of mine (names changed) and their experiences on the railroad:

A couple of years ago, "Mike" wanted to work for UP or BNSF in train crew service. After repeated inquiries and applications, long wait times with no word on job openings, he finally got an interview with UP (never heard from BNSF). He waited some more and finally was hired and called to attend orientation and conductor training. After weeks of school on rules and many tests, he passed his classes and was placed on the call board. He worked for three months and was laid off. It has been two years and no call-back...

"Anton" owned an auto-related business and threw in the towel due to oppressive state and federal regulations. He had previously earned a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering. He applied with BNSF for a position in engineering and now has over 10 years experience and is a foreman in the bridge department. He enjoys his job, earns a very good salary and is home most evenings. One of the interesting aspects he has told me about is the emphasis BNSF places on safety, at least in their department.

Take the time to consider all options and post an update if you decide pursue a railroading career. God bless!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  RR Careers GEVOryan 05-20-2017 - 15:39
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? BOB2 05-20-2017 - 18:01
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? retired 05-21-2017 - 04:58
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? Tony C 05-21-2017 - 07:20
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? Go to School 05-21-2017 - 10:18
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? College is overrated 05-21-2017 - 11:02
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? GEVOryan 05-21-2017 - 11:49
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? SP5103 05-21-2017 - 15:45
  Re: RR Careers-Trade Offs? Mike R 05-21-2017 - 15:47
  Re: RR Careers John West 05-22-2017 - 19:05
  Re: RR Careers NdeM 05-25-2017 - 16:59

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com