40 YEARS AGO THIS SUMMER
Author: Tom Moungovan
Date: 08-10-2008 - 16:17

It was 40 years ago this summer that...
NdeM abruptly quit the use of both standard & narrow gauge steam, mostly in and around Mexico City. Rumor was that they did not want the world visting the Summer Olympics to judge them as a backward nation. Several modern 4-8-4's and a few ng 2-8-0's were stored.
Hillcrest Lumber Co. on Vancouver Island quit the use of 3T Climax 10. She had been used for the last several years two days a week to take finished loads out of the mill @ Mesachie Lake down to the E&N connection @ Lake Cowichan. They also hauled finished products for nearby Western Forest Industries, a couple miles up the line @ Honeymoon Bay. Harry Wright was engineer, Preston Belcher was brakie and I forget the firemans name.
Magma Arizona quit the use of steam with newly arrived & painted ex-Medco Baldwin switcher #8 taking over. Reports that steam quit in August of 1968 are in error as I have movies and slides of 2-8-2 7 switching Superior on September 4 of that year. 3 trips there & I always managed to catch the backup engine as 2-8-0 5 was built new for the line and the preferred power. Lee Jeter was engineer, Sterling Tucker was fireman, Morris Mannheimer was one of the trainmen.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  40 YEARS AGO THIS SUMMER Tom Moungovan 08-10-2008 - 16:17
  Re: 40 YEARS AGO THIS SUMMER Tom McCann 08-11-2008 - 12:20
  Re: 40 YEARS AGO THIS SUMMER mike 08-13-2008 - 18:15

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com