Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls
Author: BOB2
Date: 08-20-2017 - 16:55

I spoke with my partner live today at the County Fair in Klameth Falls, and he said that while there was a lot of traffic on Thursday and Friday coming up, and a lot of out of state CA in town and going through, that it was actually pretty quiet now. The Winnabago crowd planned ahead to get there early to avoid the expected traffic.

The only problem there he said was that the smoke from the fires would probably block out the eclipse, and nobody can breath.

When I was looking at going to Bend, Idaho Falls, or Jackson Hole to see totality, every price had been jacked through the roof, and with the added thought of the crowd and potential hassle, I decided not to go, So maybe that was not such a good idea and discouraged a lot of the folks they expected. Now, I have to wait until I'm 97.

Part of this is what we in LA call the Olympics effect, not to be confused with the Olympic myth, that everyone carpooled to work..... People actually planned vacations and time off to avoid the traffic, a number of large employers actually shut down, we scared the @#$%& out of everybody else (who all decided to start for work an extra half hour early), and miraculously we had no traffic problems as a result.

We did a lot of other things at SP and with other large employers for the expected Olympic traffic, moved work shift start times, even a train departure (LAHOT if I recall correctly was moved two hours later, and finally left on time for the first time ever, since it was always delayed waiting for "hot loads" stuck in LA morning rush hour traffic), and provided a lot of information to PMT and dray operators, employee's and the public, giving out specific information and maps of the times and places that were expected to be congested, because of expected Olympic event traffic, and that left many of those places way less congested.....go figure?

But scaring the crap out of everybody and having them stay home, isn't a permanent solution...... But, it is why traffic information has been so effective. If the traffic sucks, or if people even think it is going to suck, they just won't go.....

As the great "guru" and catcher Yogi Bera once observed: "Nobody goes there anymore it's too crowded......"

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Early Eclipse Pdxrailtransit 08-19-2017 - 11:54
  Re: Early Eclipse Peter 08-19-2017 - 12:47
  Re: Early Eclipse Pdxrailtransit 08-19-2017 - 13:41
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls BOB2 08-19-2017 - 14:38
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Pdxrailtransit 08-19-2017 - 14:55
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Jim R 08-19-2017 - 16:56
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls espee2472 08-19-2017 - 17:14
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls M. Harris 08-19-2017 - 17:20
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Steve Thompson 08-19-2017 - 18:28
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Lenzo 08-19-2017 - 19:04
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Tony Johnson 08-19-2017 - 18:29
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Just Plain Rotten 08-19-2017 - 19:33
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Jim R 08-19-2017 - 19:01
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Cprr 08-19-2017 - 20:58
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Erik H. 08-19-2017 - 22:33
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Espee99 08-20-2017 - 08:48
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Jim R 08-20-2017 - 11:15
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Jim Fitzgerald 08-20-2017 - 14:07
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls Railbaron 08-20-2017 - 15:24
  Re: Early Eclipse-It's already a disaster area in Klameth Falls BOB2 08-20-2017 - 16:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com