Re: Is this another maglev or a gadgetbahn mutant?
Author: BOB2
Date: 11-17-2017 - 16:05

Wow, I'm impressed with the question.....

Hyperloop, from all I have read an seen, is basically a variation on the maglev, using linear induction propulsion, but in a tube, with a vacuum to reduce drag, which will the allow this "maglev" variation to achieve much higher speeds, due to the reduced drag from air resistance.....

Hyperloop is a very very very (tres-tres-tres gran vitesse) high speed fixed guideway system. So all of the issues, tradeoffs, and principles that apply to all fixed guideway systems, apply to this. And, Hyperloop is an "approach" to melding these technologies and creating an new guideway path for, for which we really have no credible costs of either operating or constructing, as of yet. So, I'm not ready to add this investment to my portfolio, as of yet, either.

Mark Pisano once proposed a "zero emission" "low speed" "freight" Maglev between the LA container docks and the ICTF rail yard, to supposedly reduce truck pollution (which would have required a container lift on both ends to load and unload, and another to reload it at the ICTF, which is why we built the on-dock direct container rail loading facilities....). And. I recall the look he gave one of his staff, when he asked Mark why you would want to take the time required to load and unload the Maglev, to haul the freight that distance, at 27 times the energy usage required to levitate the train.

So I've seen this promise before, from some of these "great minds", that with a magical "new" "visionary" mode of transportation, the trucks will magically disappear, magically consolidated onto a fixed guideway system, in this case the perfect Nimby proof "out of site/out of mind" solution, in a tunnel. And then, of course, these are magically unloaded, a distributed out of the other end, to many destinations, in the age of disaggregate demand, and just in time delivery And, it has all been utter and complete rubbish, from the standpoint of the transportation economics.

On another occasion it appeared that Mark had actually come to believe that since the Maglev "levitated" that the structures would have to be as strong or expensive, as he appeared to believe that this levitation (really all of the vehicle and passenger weight being held off of the guideway by magnetic repulsion against the structure on which it is "levitating") had somehow negated the laws of gravity. As I said before, "great minds".....

Based on experiencing that kind of "next big thing" nonsense, there still appears to be way too much hype, in Hyperloop. And there is, as of now, not enough credible proof of some of these magical claims, at least from my perspective.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Is this another maglev or a gadgetbahn mutant? synonymouse 11-14-2017 - 19:36
  Re: Is this another maglev or a gadgetbahn mutant? BOB2 11-17-2017 - 16:05
  Re: Is this another maglev or a gadgetbahn mutant? Commenter 11-17-2017 - 19:49
  Re: And, speaking of Elon Musk.... BOB2 11-17-2017 - 22:45
  Re: And, speaking of Elon Musk.... synonymouse 11-18-2017 - 10:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com