Re: new Biofuel plant in Lakeview>> article link
Author: SP5103
Date: 05-04-2018 - 08:57

From article> In addition to hundreds of construction jobs, the facility is expected to create 30 jobs within the plant and up to another 100 positions for materials gathering and transport. Lakeview has a population of about 2,000 people, so the city may see in an influx of new residents.

>"I hope that everyone who is employable can get a job of their choosing, but the reality is the demand will be higher than the supply," Shoun said. "That will put a demand on housing and every service we have — these are all positive things, but they're real."

>While agriculture and ranching remain prominent in Lake County, geothermal and solar projects along with development of commercial marijuana grow facilities shows a drastic shift in the area's economic base from its roots in the timber and cattle industries.

I know both the County and Town have worked very hard to see this happen in the name of economic development. My concern is even if Red Rock is in fact viable (it's substantially an alternate fuels demonstration project) it won't result in the expected benefits to the area without creating unwanted side effects.

Lakeview has a horrid rental issue. The only decent apartments are restricted to low income, and after that there is a wide range of rental housing available but too much of it is either too scary or too expensive for the common worker. Decent rentals turnover in about a week, and many of the rental properties are subject to sale. Pacific Power rates are far from cheap, and don't ask about the tap water quality. The first impact will be the outside construction workers trying to find housing. I presume this is going to be prevailing wage since government money is involved, and because of the solar farm projects in the area it's almost impossible to find an electrician as is.

Lakeview has a strange feeling - like that of a town that is slowly dying. Very few new businesses are allowed in and the area is isolated, so as a result you are stuck with one medium sized grocery store (Safeway), an incomplete range of other businesses, Subway being the only chain restaurant, and Dollar General being the only outside business able to locate in Lakeview in years. As a result, I would guess that maybe 1/3 of purchases are made in Lakeview, 1/3 or more in Klamath Falls (95 miles over two mountain passes) and the rest over the internet.

The primary businesses are wood related (collins and other specialty wood plants), area ranches and the perlite plant. Like much of rural Oregon, the primary employers by far are all government related with the federal, state and local governments, plus school system and hospital providing the greatest employment. That in turn creates an interesting situation where government supported employees generally do very decent with wages and benefits, local business and ranch owners do OK too. That leaves everyone else trying to make a living where good jobs are scarce, housing is in short supply and everything is expensive. There are a fair amount of residents on public assistance or fixed incomes. As far as creating jobs for local residents, too many don't have the required skills or a decent work ethic, or can pass a drug test.

I wonder - do you have to pass a pre-employment and random drug screen to work at the marijuana grow facility?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  new Biofuel plant in Lakeview nwpfan 05-03-2018 - 10:38
  Re: new Biofuel plant in Lakeview>> article link Graham Buxton 05-03-2018 - 19:14
  Re: new Biofuel plant in Lakeview>> article link SP5103 05-04-2018 - 08:57
  Re: new Biofuel plant in Lakeview>> article link nwpfan 05-04-2018 - 12:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com