V&T Re-con Shenanigans: Are They Above the Law?
Author: Jim Lohse
Date: 09-28-2008 - 21:13

Hi folks,

The facts are surfacing about the shenanigans at the V&T Re-con Commission in Carson City. Aside from the issues noted below, it's coming to light that the Commission has flouted Federal and Nevada laws regarding premature threats of eminent domain, unlawful gifts of public funds to private parties and basic elements of their enabling law.

This is really getting to be a boondoggle, after doing some research I discovered the Carson City recon commission has ignored its own funding mechanism for years, as called for in state law. Then they whine that other counties won't pony up funds. Read the story in http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080926/NEWS/809259963.

The Appeal wrote this Editorial: http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080928/OPINION/809269970

To which I sent in this response:

WISHFUL THINKING OR ABOVE THE LAW?

When I read the September 28 Editorial "V&T Cooperation amounts to wishful thinking" I was happy to see the truth, which is that Washoe County will benefit more than Carson City from the railroad reconstruction project. Economic impact estimates must be cut by 70% when estimating the direct benefit to Carson City. With all due respect to Carson City, most rail tourists will stay at Reno or Sparks hotels like the Nugget, Atlantis or Peppermill.

I must take exception to the idea that Washoe County has "thumbed its nose" at Carson City. Instead, the Commission seems to think they are above the law. The 1993 Nevada law makes it clear that benefit split estimates must accompany each proposed budget. The Commission has never made these legally required estimates. While Chairman Hadfield says no proportional benefit estimate can be made until the train begins operations, state law clearly envisions something different. The law specifically says budgets must be funded proportionally by benefit "or another equally appropriate indicator."

No budget should ever have been funded or proposed without the legally required benefit estimates. If the law had been followed from the start, we would be in a totally different situation. What's really happening is that the Commission is thumbing its nose at the law. Since the legal estimates have never been made, no county is required to provide funding. As a result, Mayor Teixeira and other Carson City interests have seen Carson City pay more than their "fair share" while acting above the law.

Don't buy into the idea that Carson City gets something back on its “investment.” Ten million more dollars will not fully fund the project, so there may be no revenues for years. The Commission is not above the law.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  V&T Re-con Shenanigans: Are They Above the Law? Jim Lohse 09-28-2008 - 21:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com