That is why we used a Design Build contract on the Gold Line....
Author: BOB2
Date: 03-24-2019 - 19:38

No change orders....

In a world where everything is run by vast evil conspiracies in a constant state of corrupt intrigues, you seem to get off and almost wallow in the joy you feel, when these kind of incidents occur.

Some of us took the hard classes, were properly raised with ethical values, learned from observing why things go wrong, and have successfully followed and even set up procedures, rules, and processes, to establish effective methods to try to avoid such things.

Many still choose for a variety of reasons, running the spectrum from, yes, I'm just shocked, outright corruption, to incompetence, to just plain old ignorance and lack of proper training. Conspiracy? Corruption? Yes, I've been in not a few meetings where the topic of discussion was whether we called the Inspector General first, or just called the FBI straight out....

Most of the problem transportation projects I was given to "salvage" in my career, something several of my bosses found I was far too good at (failing to remember the bit I'd learned in the Army about "never do a job you really don't like "too well", you might just get stuck with it...."), all had one thing in common, a failure to follow the required rules or best professional practice (be it, planning requirements, contracting rules, financial checks, record keeping...).

To be honest, this firm and this contracting process have had what seems to me to be a poor track record, due to costly excessive change orders. Which is why I encourage people to use Design Build contracts and require liquidated damages. Which may raise bid prices, as it drives some of the flakier contractors out of the bidding. But, puts much more of the "risk" and responsibility on the contractor, to stay within budget.

But, as to your vast evil political conspiracies, it would seem to me that the independent project management team, acting for the public agencies, something I also strongly recommend in the FTA and FHWA ITS project management classes I've taught, are doing their job. They are highlighting, acknowledging, and dealing with the problem, in a way that is being transparent with public and acting in the public interest.

If you ever really want to be taken seriously, you really should consider upping the dosage on your meds, so you won't need the tinfoil hat.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Tutor claims another victim synonymouse 03-24-2019 - 11:28
  That is why we used a Design Build contract on the Gold Line.... BOB2 03-24-2019 - 19:38
  Re: That is why we used a Design Build contract on the Gold Line.... Mouse Hunter 03-24-2019 - 21:04
  Re: That is why we used a Design Build contract on the Gold Line.... Bob Williams 03-26-2019 - 22:24
  Re: Tutor claims another victim Coastline Bill 03-25-2019 - 11:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com