UP Steam Program
Author: Espee99
Date: 05-06-2019 - 09:30

For untold years folks have been praising and critizing the steam program. I find it strange that a company retains old relics (IIRC MDO called them steam kettles) just for PR reasons. They are allowed to do with their advertising budget as they see fit, it is their money.

Regardless of whom operates the program it must have some value to the UPRR to maintain the funding and work force. At some point these locos become unmaintainable and the same bunch of critics will sheed tears about how UP killed them off for no reason.

If we can enjoy them for now and record them for future generations to enjoy all the better; however, I am concerned that if we don't get behind the steam program's efforts to use the equipment for adverstising and corperate good will, the program will close with out notice.

The CEO interview on Trains and in other industry publications indicates that he is becoming to see that the steam program is being run for the benefit of railfans, and while the budget is not big and is not a drain on UP its value may be suffering as the perception is that operations are only for railfans. UP expects to get civic good will and business generated for rail transportation by utilizing the steam locos as advertising.

While may have chronicled the probable miss-management, or lack of expertise these same complaints rise in any industry by retired and laid off former workers, or when supervisors change and some can't find a way to work with the new leader.

I would like to say that I don't care if 4014 is being pushed, or there is a SD-70 in the consist, just enjoy what has been done because you could have had just two UP SDs or GEs nose to nose in Odgen.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP Steam Program Espee99 05-06-2019 - 09:30

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com