Amtrak Dining Cars Demise
Author: Del Monte Burns
Date: 09-24-2019 - 13:46

There's been a lot of media reports about Amtrak diners lately.
I'm not a millennial but I agree with people that don't like to share a table with folks they don't know.
It can be very awkward.
I realize space is limited in the Viewliner cars but I've seen many waiters fill up tables even while there are empty ones and the Superliners often only open one side of the car apparently so they can save money by using fewer employees. I wonder when the Superliner diners will start getting the pre cooked packaged meals.
If Amtrak is willing to spend enough for the first class meals served on transcontinental and international flights using better quality plates than Amtrak plastic and get rid of all the non recyclable individual salad dressings and condiments it would be a big improvement.
Some of them might be an improvement over the current meals which seem to use a lot of canned vegetables.
Selling comparable reasonably priced meals to coach passengers that can be eaten at their seat or in the cafe car would make up for the loss of the diner. Rocky Mountaineer Silver Leaf meals served at passenger seats seem to be pretty decent judging by videos and reviews I've seen. Turning the diner into a first class lounge with tables for eating meals would also be helpful.
It's sad to see the loss of good paying union jobs in the diner, but the long hours and time away from home tend to produce a lot of unhappy crews.
The days of railroads like Santa Fe, UP CB&Q and others serving very high quality meals including baking cakes, pies and other items from scratch and subsidizing the costs to attract passengers are not likely to return.
[thetakeout.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Amtrak Dining Cars Demise Del Monte Burns 09-24-2019 - 13:46
  Re: Amtrak Dining Cars Demise TO's serial posters 09-24-2019 - 14:10
  Re: Amtrak Dining Cars Demise China Bot Kwan Wo 09-24-2019 - 16:18
  It must be Troll Tuesday ... 09-24-2019 - 17:12
  Re: Amtrak Dining Cars Demise David Dewey 09-24-2019 - 20:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com