Observations from Las Vegas and the next day 4014
Author: David Dewey
Date: 10-10-2019 - 12:41

I will probably take some flack for this posting; this is just an observation based on my limited experience the past three day, and does not reflect on anything posted about the operations of the UP Steam Program internal operations.
The display area in Las Vegas seemed to be very well laid-out; traffic control and parking was good; my GPS no knowing the freeway off-ramps had been rebuilt since it was updated not withstanding!
I watched, Ted (I believe that was/is his name)answer many questions--ofttimes the same question--clearly, succinctly, and with a smile. They were busy with what appeared to be the pivot for the trailing truck. On poor member was down there under that firebox working away, with ready assistance from other crew-members. The gentleman in the cab, cycling the injector and keeping an eye on things was also very nice to the crowds.
I noticed that even on a spot fire, steam was kept up, enough so they used the whistle now and again to consume some steam and keep the safeties off.
There were transportation buggies for folks who couldn't walk down to the display car. The display car was pretty nice with good displays for the non-rail oriented person. Lots of FREE cold water for the visitors too.
The souvenir stand was usually swamped, but everyone seemed to be willing to wait and the staff was working hard filling orders and finding the right sized shirts. They were already running out of some shirts. It seemed like the selection of items was a bit limited, but being on the road, maybe that's just the way it has to be.
The next day a Cima (sp?) the park service was there; a lot of folks for a location that is at least 18 miles off the main road. the crowd seemed very co-operative with each other--a few "red shirts" who just had to get in closer for their pic (normal stuff). The rod greasing started almost before the engine stopped, and at a rapid pace.
When the train pulled out, the caravan was held up by a few folks who just had to pace the engine, making it impossible for many of us to run ahead and reach "our" "perfect photo spot." By the time I got to Kelso, they were almost ready to leave.
Coming in to Yermo, it seemed the rod clanking was a bit louder; but some clanking is also normal, I'll leave it to others to speculate how well she is "working in."
We had a great time, and I'm glad I took the days to drive down there and "see the Living
Dinosaur." Now if PG&E would just turn my power back on. . . .

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Observations from Las Vegas and the next day 4014 David Dewey 10-10-2019 - 12:41
  Re: Observations from Las Vegas and the next day 4014 New Felton 10-10-2019 - 13:16
  Re: Observations from Las Vegas and the next day 4014 Cprr 10-10-2019 - 16:28
  Re: Observations from Las Vegas and the next day 4014 George Andrews 10-10-2019 - 17:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com