Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel
Author: Tom McCann
Date: 11-12-2008 - 22:02

Aside from the loud host, a very good show. It brought back memories of crossing Horseshoe on the "Broadway" and the "Three Rivers".

I took the "Broadway" from Philadelphia to Chicago in February 1971 on my way to U.S. Navy boot camp at Great Lakes, Ill. It was my first overnight train trip, and my first trip across the Horseshoe. I recall that it was a clear night and the train was all lit up as we went around the Curve.

My very first trip on the "Three Rivers", from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia in October 1995, included three deadhead cars -- two Superliners and a Viewliner sleeper -- on their way to Altoona for display at that year's Railfest. They had deadheaded out of Chicago on the eastbound Capitol Limited and were set out at Pittsburgh.

After the train loaded, we pulled down the main and reversed to back down and couple onto the cars, which were on one of the stub tracks. The conductor, directing the movement in the vestibule of the rear coach, was giving the engineer a radio call to make his safety stop when a passing Conrail freight sounded its air horn. The noise caused the engineer to miss the radio call, because we then made a hard coupling. Apparently there was no damage, because we were able to leave after a few minutes.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel GRRR 11-11-2008 - 16:55
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel Brian 11-11-2008 - 17:24
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel WAF 11-12-2008 - 08:56
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel GRRR 11-12-2008 - 10:30
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel The Montezuma Yardmaster 11-12-2008 - 12:58
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel jeffe77 11-12-2008 - 13:44
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel WAF 11-12-2008 - 18:57
  Re: Reminder - "Extreme Trains" tonight on the History Channel Tom McCann 11-12-2008 - 22:02
  Extreme, to say the least z 11-12-2008 - 22:23
  Re: Extreme, to say the least LPNGANDY 11-13-2008 - 05:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com