Re: BART invents internet, and forced developers to build too much retail space over last 20 years, ..?
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-08-2019 - 09:11

That evil sinister BART is at it again, right Mouse?

BART and the vast "wide gauge" conspiracy, by inventing the internet, creating e-commerce, and forcing tens of thousands of investors to overbuild retail space, is forcing Walgreens to close these highly profitable stores, right?

It is all part of the vast BART conspiracy, right? It has nothing to do with the actions of supply and demand, and/or retailers who are responding to market forces in a free market economy, right?

Grim Outlook for Suburban Retail

The fact is that this has been a trend for 20 years, starting in "low yield" rural retail malls, and accelerating over the last decade, into suburban and urban retail districts. I have a number of higher than average income areas around me with over 20% retail vacancy rates. Office space is also overbuilt in many areas, as well.

A developer I've worked with in the past, on traffic mitigation for their projects, is looking at a major regional Mall in the San Gabriel Valley, that has had major retail closures, for partial conversion to a high density mixed use luxury condo to affordable apartment range housing multi-unit complex, on "top" of that mall.

I was also approached recently by a local Councilmember in my own City, on my thoughts, about in-fill housing like this at a local "super market" based neighborhood shopping center, which is also experiencing high retail vacancies.

This "reuse" of the excess retail and office "space" and/or air rights for housing is far more lucrative than retail rentals. And, because malls and shopping centers have plenty of parking, and many like the mall I mentioned have had major access improvements (traffic signals, internal circulation roadways), these will tend to have much less impact on local traffic circulation and congestion, due to "in-fill" at these previously retail only locations.

Mouse's reflexive "anti-corporate" pseudo-leftist sources, seem to like to beat the drum on how this is all part of some evil capitalist plot. And, as usual, our well known tiny AP contingent of pus oozing trolls will chime in with their usual line, blaming their favorite "untermensch" for all of these ills. And, to Mouse, it is always going to be the ever nefarious vast BART conspiracy, at it again...

I just see it as a new opportunity to respond to the ever changing market signals that consumers, in a free market economy, are sending us with their consumer choices

That "signal" the market is sending just might be that consumers need less "brick and mortar" stores, and that they need and want more housing.

That market "signal" requires NO tinfoil hat to be received or interpreted, unlike the secret signals that only Mouse can receive and interpret, about the vast "wide gauge" conspiracy...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BART 16th & Mission area stores close synonymouse 12-07-2019 - 12:32
  Re: BART 16th & Mission area stores close Hobo Kelly 12-07-2019 - 13:05
  Re: BART invents internet, and forced developers to build too much retail space over last 20 years, ..? BOB2 12-08-2019 - 09:11
  Re: BART invents internet, and forced developers to build too much retail space over last 20 years, ..? david vartanoff 12-08-2019 - 11:59
  Re: BART, Sales Taxes, and the Fiscalization of Land Uses, and Free Transit? BOB2 12-08-2019 - 14:19
  PUBLIC TRANSIT IN LA IS ALREADY FREE... PK R.74 12-08-2019 - 17:21
  Re: BART, Sales Taxes, and the Fiscalization of Land Uses, and Free Transit? david vartanoff 12-08-2019 - 22:05
  Re:Fares versus Free Transit? Cost recovery and budget lines, versus "road pricing" cost recovery... BOB2 12-09-2019 - 02:23
  Re: Re:Fares versus Free Transit? Cost recovery and budget lines, versus "road pricing" cost recovery... FUD 12-09-2019 - 07:10
  Re: BART, Sales Taxes, and ... Free Transit? FUD 12-09-2019 - 07:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com