Re: Garrison Keillor / Prairie Home Companion story about a train
Author: WebDigger
Date: 03-29-2020 - 18:47

On 03-29-2020 - 15:00, wondering Wrote: [www.altamontpress.com]
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone remember the "News from Lake Wobegon" story about a long distance passenger train that accidentally came down the branch line to Lake Wobegon? I always thought that story was funny, even though it was totally improbable. I have good memories of listening to Lake Wobegon stories with my parents.
>
> In other stories he used an expression I liked which was directed at people who complain about the outcome of their own decisions: "If you didn't want to go to Minneapolis, why did you get on the train?"
>
> His career ended because some irate women "cancelled" him because apparently he made passes at them. Then NPR panicked and threw him under the bus. Saw this YouTube comment that I like:
>
> "Garrison Keillor is now a non-person. All trace or mention of him has been erased from public radio. Dr. Gates was supposed to do his ancestry on "Find Your Roots" on PBS, but his segment was replaced with that of someone else. It's like the Stalin era in the USSR where all mention of someone has been removed from history books and airbrushed out of photos."
>
> Yes indeed. Progressive utopia we live in now.

Here's the train story: [books.google.com]

Found it on page 2 of this search: ["train" Lake Wobegon] [www.google.com]

There's still plenty of GK material available on the internet, including his own eponymous (it's clean, you can look it up) website. Also, he seems to have been wise enough to hold on to the rights to his material.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Garrison Keillor / Prairie Home Companion story about a train wondering 03-29-2020 - 15:00
  Re: Garrison Keillor / Prairie Home Companion story about a train Pdxrailtransit 03-29-2020 - 15:23
  Re: Garrison Keillor / Prairie Home Companion story about a train Jack S. 03-29-2020 - 16:02
  Re: Garrison Keillor / Prairie Home Companion story about a train WebDigger 03-29-2020 - 18:47
  @Wondering Trackwuurk 03-29-2020 - 19:43
  Re: @Wondering Pdxrailtransit 03-29-2020 - 20:23

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com