Re: FYI for Windows 10 Users
Author: FUD
Date: 10-02-2020 - 13:59

The detection of dying SSDs is: 1) an experimental feature only released to Insiders; 2) only for NVME SSDs, not all types. Yes, it's possible that they will release it to the general Windows population in another 6 months or a year (with one of the semi-annual major updates) but not yet.

All of my computers have solid-state boot disks, but none are NVME type. So even if I were an insider this would be irrelevant for now. Be aware that if you have software that can read SMART data from disks (like Speedfan) you have the ability now (as has been true for some years) to see what the operating statistics are for the disk in your computer (SSD or hard disk) and whether anything is reaching a warning level for wear. All MS is really doing is moving that deeper into the operating system.

As for OMG CAN'T UNINSTALL EDGE: that's true of the system browser in both Windows and Apple products: in Windows it's Edge, in Apple it's Safari. Doens't mean you have to use it; just install something else (I usually use Firefox). Even in Linux Mint, where Firefox is the default browser, the open-source core of Chromium is also installed and can be used as a bare-bones, Chrome-compatible browser.

Note that the current Edge is Chromium-based, so it works much like Chrome and can use the same extensions. Edge works with most web sites (a growing number of them) that are designed to work only with Chrome. Chrome and its Chromium-based derivatives control something like 95% of the browser market, so Google can dictate standards for web sites without going through the normal standard-setting groups. And Chrome is mainly an advertising delivery and data collection system unless you're very clever with the settings and extensions (same thing for Edge, really). I really don't like Chrome or its derivatives, but Edge is OK to keep around for those cases when I absolutely have to use one of those broken (Chrome-only) web sites.

All this might relevant to use of this and other web sites. Where are the trains?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  FYI for Windows 10 Users Pdxrailtransit 10-02-2020 - 12:38
  F Windows 10 Users PEE C KNOT Z 10-02-2020 - 12:58
  Re: F Windows 10 Users Pdxrailtransit 10-02-2020 - 13:08
  Re: FYI for Windows 10 Users FUD 10-02-2020 - 13:59
  Re: FYI for Windows 10 Users An Observer 10-02-2020 - 15:36
  Re: FYI for Windows 10 Users Guest 10-02-2020 - 15:52
  Re: FYI for Windows 10 Users FUD 10-02-2020 - 22:31

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com