BNSF in Tacoma and Puyallup River & Sounder
Author: GN Goat
Date: 01-08-2009 - 02:00

WHen I got off work at 11:45 pm, drove down Pacific Hwy thru Fife and across the old Pacific Bridge that meets with Puyallup Ave/Portland Ave in Tacoma.

BNSF had a MOW Semi Crane Truck on the bridge that connects their yard with the Port Of Tacoma. They were watching/checking the debris around the pylons (or whatever you call them) for this bridge. I then drove over to Bay Street and BNSF had another MOW truck with about 3 pickup trucks parked along Bay Street. Looked like they were working on a switch at the TR junction very close the I-5 over pass (which DOT is watching closely). There was water between each main but the river had not breached the levee in that area yet.

I then drove on Hwy 167/River Road from Reservation North towards Puyallup and from about 66th Ave Bridge to 80th Ave E on River Road there were 15 to 20 vehicles parked along the road. People were watching the river. Across the river on N. Levee Road, there were multiple police cars blocking roads into housing subdivisions (used to be all great farm land). Fife PD has all roads blocked, including the 66th Ave E Bridge. Fife has asked all people on the South side of I-5 in Fife to evacuate.

Depending where you stopped along this stretch, the river on the River Road (167) side had probably less than 1 foot to up to 2 feet to reach River Road. The N Levee Road Levee is lower than the River Road side; that's why all the police over there.

The closer you get to the TR / Reservation Junction for UP/BNSF/TR, the levee has more room before the river will flow over.

KOMO newsradio just reported that River Road will be closed soon. They also reporting that Sounder between Tacoma/Seattle is canceled for Thursday. But they said North run was open. This surprises me. But wondering there is flooding between Reservation and Puyallup for BNSF.

In the 25+ years I've lived here in Tacoma, I've never seen the river this high or seen it breach the levees.

Lots of debris moving down river too towards the BNSF bridge.

To all the railroad crews, be safe out there!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  BNSF in Tacoma and Puyallup River & Sounder GN Goat 01-08-2009 - 02:00
  Re: BNSF in Tacoma and Puyallup River & Sounder K-12 01-08-2009 - 09:27
  Re: BNSF in Tacoma and Puyallup River & Sounder GNGoat 01-08-2009 - 11:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com