Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"?
Author: BOB2
Date: 04-06-2021 - 03:15

I once missed a chance to go on a railfan trip the "passenger" "turn: to Niland (Golden State???), when the ICC allowed SP to discontinue one of SP's passenger trains, but the CA Public Utilities Commission made them keep the intrastrate services, which IIRC ran for a few more months, back in the 60's.... So, we have

Having worked with some of my colleagues on border transportation issues down in Imperial County, this is one (pipe...?) dream "on the list" of some of those folks... There are arguments that this might make more sense, as the demographics and destination sets have changed. It would be costly... If, the much more viable rail passenger services from the Coachella Valley to the IE and LAUS ever become "real", then it might be worth a closer look at the costs and benefits of such an extension to the Imperial County/Mexicali "metro" areas....

PHX would take at least 8 hours from LA, under former SP/Amtrak schedules.

My first priority to looking at real passenger rail system transportation "needs", on corridors with substantial demonstrated travel demand (auto and existing rail), and with traffic congestion/capacity relief. So the Imperial Valley, and heresy of heresies even PHX, is probably not at the top of my "policiy" or "project" lists...

I have criticized these kind of train fan "fantasy" maps and "promises", like the one the Secretary of Transportation felt compelled to tweet out, because this kind of nonsense ignorantly panders to unrealistic expectations. I just saw another equally ludicrous "high speed" map on a paid Facebook ad, pandering to the ignorant, with things like high speed rail lines to South Texas.....

We need to prioritize well planned rail passenger projects, with good public benefits, that can be delivered in a timely manner, at realistic and predictable costs, which the public can actually use for real travel "needs". A program that does that, which prioritizes based on those factors, will naturally tend to fund "needed" rail passenger projects like the Del Mar bluffs bypass, LAUS run through, the ACE connection via Altamont to the Valley (so taxpayers can see viable services which can connect to the "runaway money trains" stranded investment from Chowchilla to Wasco), over some of the embrrassing fiasco's like we have experienced with the CAHSRA.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Will the Wind Blow...? Vincent Vega 04-03-2021 - 19:00
  Re: Will the Wind Blow...? hum 04-03-2021 - 19:43
  abc7.com_campaigntrue_source=facebook NO THANKS 04-03-2021 - 21:25
  Re: abc7.com_campaigntrue_source=facebook Sgt. Joe Friday 04-04-2021 - 13:42
  LA-Calexico Gringo 04-05-2021 - 22:50
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? BOB2 04-06-2021 - 03:15
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? FUD 04-06-2021 - 10:11
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? Gringo 04-06-2021 - 10:14
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? An Observer 04-06-2021 - 10:56
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? Gringo 04-06-2021 - 15:09
  Re: LA-Calexico? LA-PHX? And, other rail passenger "priorities"? Commenter 04-06-2021 - 17:17
  Re: Former Seniors? "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now....." "priorities"? BOB2 04-06-2021 - 17:53
  Tax payer funded snake oil promises SuckingSound 04-06-2021 - 19:12
  Re: Tax payer funded snake oil promises? But, of course that's a complete lie...... BOB2 04-06-2021 - 20:33
  Calexico Gringo 04-07-2021 - 15:41
  BOB2 snake oil ? But, of course you potty mouth ! IVORY SOAP 04-07-2021 - 18:25
  Re: BOB2 snake oil ? But, of course you potty mouth ! Sitting on the Recliner 04-07-2021 - 18:51
  Re: Poor stupid mean BOB2, who reads what is actually in legally binding agreements with the UP, instead of a claim that you heard someone say something? You poor littlle thing, did I upset you? BOB2 04-07-2021 - 22:18
  Poor stupid mean BOB2, who reads what is actually in legally binding agreements with PROP 1A, instead of a claim that you heard someone say something? You poor "littlle" thing, did I screw you, Taxpayer? BOB2"littlle" voice 04-08-2021 - 13:24
  Re: How is my favorite troll of many names today? BOB2 04-08-2021 - 13:46

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com