Re: Amtrak Railpass - Any Takers,
Author: Rare Mileage Collector
Date: 08-29-2021 - 23:32

In October of 1986, when I was a lot younger, I did something comparable when Amtrak was offering their "All Aboard America" fare where they divided the country into thirds. I rode a bunch of trains in the eastern third of the country for $159., coach all the way.

This was also when the now-defunct Eastern Airlines was offering their "Moonlight Special" network of overnight flights using A-300s and Houston Intercontinental airport as a hub. I flew from California to Miami and began the marathon by riding Amtrak # 92(22) from there to Richmond, VA. Then Amtrak # 95(23) from there to Newport News. Then Amtrak # 94(24) from there to Philadelphia. Then Amtrak # 47(27) from there to Pittsburgh. Then Amtrak # 30(27) from there to Washington D.C. Then Amtrak # 87(28) from there to Tampa. Then I made my way over to Orlando and flew home. I also took the Crescent to Charlotte to ride an excursion to Spruce Pine. Some of the mileage can no longer be obtained, such as the route in Florida via Ocala and the Coleman Cutoff, plus the ex-SAL line via Norlina, NC and Alberta, VA.

Ah, the foolish things we did when we were young and cheap train fares were dangled in front of us like carrots!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Amtrak Railpass - Any Takers, TWJ 08-29-2021 - 13:56
  Re: Amtrak Railpass - Any Takers, Rare Mileage Collector 08-29-2021 - 23:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com