Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 03-05-2009 - 21:25

Caboose assignments were pretty much abolished with National Collective Bargaining agreements with the UTU and the Carriers more than 30 years ago. Note many UP and BN coupolas had the letter P stenciled on them, indicating Pool caboose, no claim allowed for not being furnished regularily assigned caboose.

I have my current (!) 1956 Santa Fe Coast Lines road agreement with caboose side letters, but with the help of people like Gov. Dukemejian (who was listed as a BNSF member of the Board of Directors within the last few years), cabooses, and more important, the rear brakeman, were sold down the river when I was just a kid.

Other roads may have had different agreements. The Orange Empire Railway Museum in Perris, CA has an SP bay window caboose that had a decal of a rose on it and was stenciled Roseville Local, if I recall correctly.

They also quite possibly had the only remaining ATSF pre-modernized caboose on the West Coast still in original mineral brown paint and screened, wood-sashed windows that was stenciled 'Local Service Only', but said caboose was converted into a playground/party house. Caboose was essentially complete, with all running gear, but lacked a few interior furnishings, namely two bunks, early design of radio and belt drive generator, the stove and a seat bench.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Southern Pacific caboose assignments DTB 03-05-2009 - 09:09
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments Rich Hunn 03-05-2009 - 20:32
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments DTB 03-05-2009 - 21:18
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments Steven D. Johnson 03-05-2009 - 21:25
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments George Andrews 03-06-2009 - 13:45
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments Rich Hunn 03-06-2009 - 13:57
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments Rich Hunn 03-06-2009 - 14:01
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments CVW 03-06-2009 - 14:28
  Re: Southern Pacific caboose assignments Steven D. Johnson 03-07-2009 - 16:55

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com