Submitted For Your Approval - Eighty-first Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 06-25-2022 - 23:11

Here's a photo taken on May 21, 1978, FORTY-FOUR YEARS AGO of the Chessie System "Safety Express", using the Reading T-1 4-8-4 2101 steam locomotive. They were running excursions to three destinations radiating out of Cincinnati--to Ashland, KY, North Vernon, IN and, shown here, Chillicothe, OH. This former B&O line hosted Amtrak's Shenandoah, which has since been discontinued and the track has been downgraded and ripped up east of Greenfield, OH, another victim of mergers and shifting traffic patterns. This photo was taken in the suburbs on the eastern side of Cincinnati in, I believe, Indian Hill when the train was returning to CUT.

On March 6, 1979, while being stored in a Chessie System roundhouse in Silver Grove, KY, the 2101 was severely damaged in a fire. It was cosmetically restored and placed in the B&O Railroad Museum on Labor Day, 1979, in exchange for Chesapeake and Ohio 614. Today, the locomotive remains on display in its American Freedom Train #1 paint scheme.

Sadly, I think the days of Class One railroads operating steam excursions where the public can ride are pretty much over. In 1978, in the region of the country where I was living, SOU, N&W, Chessie System (C&O-B&O-WM) and The Family Lines (SCL-L&N-GA-CC&O-A&WP) either had steam programs or were cooperative with running steam excursions.

E.T.T.S. Everything Turns To Caa Caa

https://i.ibb.co/S0JZh8P/19780521-028-Indian-Hill-OH-Chillicothe-Cincinnati-excursion.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Eighty-first Installment D. B. Arthur 06-25-2022 - 23:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com