Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-fiftieth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 09-21-2022 - 23:10

Here's a photo I took on August 23, 1976, FORTY-SIX YEARS AGO, when I made a one-week trip to British Columbia and Alberta. After arriving in Calgary on Canadian Pacific's "The Canadian", the following day I rode CP Rail's Train 301, an unnamed train comprised of a RDC Dayliner, that ran on a three-and-one-half-hour morning schedule from Calgary to South Edmonton. After completing its journey from Calgary, the Budd car is shown here parked in front of the Canadian Pacific's ornate South Edmonton train station. By 1976, trains no longer crossed the North Saskatchewan River on a combination highway-railroad bridge into Edmonton proper and had been curtailed back to this location. Today, the station has been re-purposed as the MKT Bar + Fare restaurant.

[centuryhospitality.com]

[goo.gl]

In 1976, CP Rail was offering two trains per day each way on the Calgary-Edmonton corridor, and those trains probably catered to passengers at the intermediate points as Pacific Western Airlines was offering hourly flights between the two cities. The planes used Edmonton City Centre Airport (YXD) in downtown Edmonton that has since been abandoned.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Today the Canadian Pacific line between Calgary and South Edmonton is freight-only.

https://i.ibb.co/QDqCGh5/19760823-006-014.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-fiftieth Installment D. B. Arthur 09-21-2022 - 23:10

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com