Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-sixty-fifth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 10-24-2022 - 20:28

Here's a photo I took on August 24, 1976, FORTY-SIX YEARS AGO, when I made a one-week trip to British Columbia and Alberta. As seen from CN Train 1, the westbound Super Continental, this is the station at Blue River, B.C., where, by compass direction, the line is pretty much on a north-south alignment between Red Pass Junction and Kamloops Junction. Over the years, VIA RAIL has done something similar to Amtrak and installed smaller, enclosed waiting shelters at many of these locations and the CN stations have either been torn down or are no longer used for passenger functions.

[goo.gl]

Here's what the area looked like in July 2022. The station building has been torn down but it appears you can still see the foundation for it. The well-maintained and fenced-off lawn in the 1976 photo is now a patch of weeds. In the 1976 photo, I was standing about where the CN station sign is, looking westward down the track toward the front of the train.

This photo was taken late in the day and the portion of the trip from around Kamloops Junction to around Hope was under cover of darkness. This was unfortunate as the scenery is spectacular in the Thompson and Fraser River canyons. The many twists and turns going through the canyons, plus the flange squealing, provided me with a not-so-restful night in my Daynighter coach seat. The Daynighter coaches were a reconfiguration that came along late in the game and the seats were not nearly as comfortable as the 1950s-era seats on the Canadian Pacific.

In 1976 a passenger could step off the train in Blue River in the dead of winter and there was a heated waiting room where he could stay until his party met him. In 2022, the party picking up the passenger at the station had better be there or the passenger might freeze to death.

"Progress".

https://i.ibb.co/CzBy1kJ/19760824-009-024.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-sixty-fifth Installment D. B. Arthur 10-24-2022 - 20:28
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-sixty-fifth Installment Ross Hall 10-25-2022 - 23:13
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - One-hundred-sixty-fifth Installment GRD 10-26-2022 - 11:54

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com