Re: HypeLoop--- Right after Elon figures out he paid too much for Twitter....? He'll solve congestion.....
Author: BOB2
Date: 11-13-2022 - 07:51

I've had to do operational and economic analysis of various fixed guideway transit systems from MagLev to People Movers. All fixed guideway systems offer advantages and disadvantages, and all fixed guidewways require certain levels of mimiumum projected riderhsip and trip connectivity to achieve operational efficiencies. All fixed guideways require time to load and unload the vehicle, a function of loadings and demand, hence arguments over the merits of high platform versus low platforms.

I have also looked at the costs and construction methods of various kinds of tunneling for both subways and for freeways (like the 54 foot double bored tunnels for the proposed I-710 freeway under South Pasadena between Pasadena and Cal State LA). This included various types of bored highway and rail tunnels (like the M-30 tunnels under Madrid, the H-3 on Oahu, and the Metro Subway, and ELA Gold Line bored tunnels).

I have heard nothing but hype about hyperlink my whole career, going back almost 20 years since this was first proposed. None of it makes any operational sense, nor has the demand or operational scenarios for hyperloop (the "user need" in your systems engineering 101 class) ever been defined (not unlike other great fiascos such as the CHSRA).

In theory a Tesla can make 1800 trips per hour in a single lane tunnel with up to 3 persons per vehicle without stopping times to pick up and drop off passengers. At the end, or at stations, there would have to be enough parking spaces to load and unload passengers, turn the vehicle for reuse and head back. Loading times would be long as you are exiting a passenger auto, not a multidoor station platform double subway car door. And so far I have never heard of any actual operational/productivity numbers like that in all of the hyperlink hype.

As to the "Boring Company" none of Elon's tunnels have been very impressive compared to major urban freeway tunnels like the M-30, the H-3, or the double bored, double decked, full five lanes proposed FHWA (truck clearances) for the proposed I-710 tunnel extension that was proposed for LA (where each lane could have accomodated 1800 vehicles per lane per hour, going both directions).

A friend is in Las Vegas this weekend and taking a "rare mileage" ride on a Tesla through the rather anemic and unimpressive 14 foot diameter tunnel the aptly named "Boring Company" bored to the Convention Center. I hope to get a first had report on how it operates and what kind of volumes they operate.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  HypeLoop o 11-12-2022 - 15:05
  Re: HypeLoop--- Right after Elon figures out he paid too much for Twitter....? He'll solve congestion..... BOB2 11-13-2022 - 07:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com