Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 10-24-2023 - 00:23

Here's a photo I took on February 19, 1996, TWENTY-SEVEN years ago, when I rode NdeM Train 109-110 from Mexico City to Puebla. The train is at a "new" station on the eastern side of the city of Cuautla, Morelos that opened for service in 1973 when a standard gauge line replaced a narrow gauge line that ran on a different alignment closer to the center of the city. The narrow gauge line had a wye and a "stub-ended" passenger station. Steam operations ceased in 1968. Most of the alignment of the narrow gauge line has been converted into just one more city street and it has been appropriately named "Avenida del Ferrocarril". The city has retained some track and rolling stock as part of a museum near the downtown train station, including 2-8-0 steam engine 279. Apparently everything has fallen out of operational condition.

[www.internationalsteam.co.uk]

The standard gauge "new" line that was completed in 1973 has now also been abandoned, as no concessionaires were interested in operating this line when privatization came on the scene in 1998. Here's a recent GOOGLE Streetview image that shows the current sad state of the abandoned station. The microwave tower must still be in use.

[maps.app.goo.gl]

I rode this train with fellow railfans Ed Graham of Daly City, CA, John Arbuckle of Hutchinson, KS and Brian Cutter of Minneapolis, MN. Ed and John have since passed on. Rest in peace, gentlemen.

https://i.ibb.co/FJwCg3r/19960219-002-013.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment D. B. Arthur 10-24-2023 - 00:23
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment Ross Hall 10-24-2023 - 14:21
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment Chris Walker 10-24-2023 - 15:04
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment Ross Hall 10-24-2023 - 21:58
  Los Angeles Hotels Replacing Union Workers with Border Crossers Pancho 10-26-2023 - 07:23
  Does Mexico Railroads have CTC? ?/? 10-25-2023 - 10:38
  Re: Does Mexico Railroads have CTC? D. B. Arthur 10-25-2023 - 13:09
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Two-hundred-thirty-third Installment NdeM 6413 10-28-2023 - 21:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com