Well? Here's a price list I keep for folks, when folks ask "why so much".... And the average museum volunteer is how old????
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-24-2023 - 06:34

PSRM and track rehab… crazy money
Author: Boomer
Date: 12-23-2023 - 20:19

How come it costs a quarter of a million dollars to replace ties over 5 miles of track? I remember when the Boomer generation could do that work for free as volunteers.

“OK Boomer!”

——
Copied from FB:

🔸Museum Update: as mentioned in previous posts, PSRM is overhauling 5 miles of our train ride route.

Due to a continued volunteer shortage, we have had no choice but to contract this work and it comes with a hefty price tag of $284,000.

🪫As of December 5th, 2023, we have raised $6,865 of our $10,000 goal!

Please consider a donation this holiday season. This work ensures that 1,000s of visitors will continue to experience a classic train ride on the historic SD&A(E) Railway.

•$5, $10, $20 ALL donation amounts are helpful and add up quickly!
•$75 donation buys a wooden tie
•$250 donation buys the installation of a wooden tie (plates, spikes, labor and equipment operation)

Your donations will help us purchase the necessary supplies to finish the job!

Consider making a lasting impact with an end-of-the-year donation! PSRMA is a non-profit organization and all donations are tax deductible under 501(c)(3).

Visit:
👉 www.PSRM.org/donate
(Select the Giving Tuesday fund)

I keep this 2017 price list... Add about 25-30% or so, for inflation over the last six years...

Choo-choo track price list 2017

I started my "paid" career in railroading laying track for Bill Oden and Stan Garner on the old Alta Loma Branch up by Chaffee College where Bill and Stan had a lease from ATSF to store the Rogue River Porter, and their first narrow gauge acquisition. I was 18 then.

What is the average age of volunteer today? Have you ever carried a track jack to the next section you want to use to lift and level it by had with ballast? Have you ever pulled a tie by hand? What are the qualifications the average 68 year old volunteer to run a tie puller, or a tamping machine?

Let's see equipment rentals? Insurance costs,(they'll just love that you are using "volunteers"..), and other "overhead".....????

As I used to tell my public sector clients, who wanted to build rail lines of various type, and would get "sticker shock" at the price tag: "choo-choo's" can be an expensive hobby...." Especially if you are planning to "model" them in full 1-1 scale....

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  PSRM and track rehab… crazy money Boomer 12-23-2023 - 20:19
  Well? Here's a price list I keep for folks, when folks ask "why so much".... And the average museum volunteer is how old???? BOB2 12-24-2023 - 06:34
  Re: Well? Here's a price list I keep for folks, when folks ask "why so much".... And the average museum volunteer is how old???? MTS Graft 12-24-2023 - 11:39
  Re: Well? Here's a price list I keep for folks, when folks ask "why so much".... And the average museum volunteer is how old???? Border Town 12-24-2023 - 12:22
  PSRM / MTS Subject line shortener bot 12-24-2023 - 12:30
  Who cares? Boomer Destroyer 12-24-2023 - 17:14
  Re: Who cares? Boomer 12-24-2023 - 17:38
  Re: Who cares? Boomer Destroyer 12-24-2023 - 17:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com