Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 02-09-2024 - 22:52

Here's a photo I took on December 05, 1992, THIRTY-TWO YEARS AGO, of a special Christmas-season train that was operated by Santa Fe from San Bernardino to Summit for the United Way. The train carried young people from the Inland Empire with the United Way deciding who would ride. I heard that many of the children had lives characterized by disadvantages, poverty, misfortune and dysfunction. This may have been the first train ride for many of them.

Shortly after this photo was taken, the power ran around the train and it returned to San Bernardino down the # 1 track and before the third main was built. Another year that I chased the train had it running west over the Pasadena Subdivision (former Second District) and I seem to remember it reversed direction at Butler, but don't quote me on it.

I'm not sure if BNSF is continuing with this tradition.

https://i.ibb.co/7b8Z08n/19921205-002.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment D. B. Arthur 02-09-2024 - 22:52
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment Chris Walker 02-09-2024 - 23:12
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment Kris 02-10-2024 - 09:42
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment George 02-12-2024 - 08:51
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-fifth Installment D. B. Arthur 02-13-2024 - 09:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com