Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Meanwhile, for those who like trains on AP, Santa Cruz would be a great line for speeders, and passenger services....
Author: BOB2
Date: 02-29-2024 - 11:30

PFC Poon Tang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> BOB2 says rip it out.

No BOB2 doesnn't say that at all....

I personally like the Santa Cruz branch, and used to visit it a lot when I was up that way. I think that many segments are in fine shape, and speeders would be a great interim "event" use. Or a great use of the line out to Davenport would be to make it a great permannet speeder "park".

Of course, not being a mentally ill train hating troll, who posts nonsense on train chzt boards for thrills, I like railroads, railroading, and railroaders.

And, since I have spent a part of my career on trying to plan for and buold first world quality rail systems in the United States, so I'm probably a bit biased by my understanding of travel behavior econmic choicemaking on the opportunities that are presented by the Santa Cruz branch. A little less so for some of these shuttle/LRT/DMU/HMU proposals, than for a line as part of a fully integrated system of regional rail passenger services.

So, based on that perspective, I would kind of tend to think, given the observed travel patterns in the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay region, that if this line had European level intermediate distance services connecting Santa Cruz Countie to San Jose, the Penninsula, the East Bay, and even direct service through to Sacramento. And if this kind of service were to be operated with a convenient (12-16 daily departures), and at average auto competitive travel times (espectially when compared to the added delay factors during Bay region peaks). That services to and from Santa Cruz, would likelyu be a very successful and well used service.

And, like the proposed services along the I-10/SR-60 corridor, from LA-IE-Coachella, I also think that serviceds from Monterey and Santa Cruz counties into the Metro Bay Area would be cost effective, on a marginal cost per passenger mile basis, with both the capital and operating costs of adding tens of billions of dollars more, in adding just one or two more traffic lanes, to an already "built out" Bay Area freeway system.

Trolls got to troll, that is just what they must do, meanwhile adults are allowed to have real conversations about trains, and yeah, it would be kind of fun to see speeders on the Santa Cruz branch... Sign me up for that one....

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? Jess Askin 02-28-2024 - 22:23
  Re: Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? FUD 02-29-2024 - 08:02
  Re: Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? Bergtold 02-29-2024 - 08:06
  Re: Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? Jess Askin 02-29-2024 - 09:10
  Re: Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? PFC Poon Tang 02-29-2024 - 10:07
  Re: Is the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? Brian Peoples 02-29-2024 - 10:13
  Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Meanwhile, for those who like trains on AP, Santa Cruz would be a great line for speeders, and passenger services.... BOB2 02-29-2024 - 11:30
  Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Meanwhile, for those who like trains on AP, Santa Cruz would be a great line for speeders, and passenger services.... Sam 02-29-2024 - 23:50
  Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Yeah, maybe...? But you come to AP because you like to post how much you hate trains, and I don't......... BOB2 03-01-2024 - 00:49
  Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Yeah, maybe...? But you come to AP because you like to post how much you hate trains, and I don't......... Impartial observer 03-01-2024 - 04:28
  Re: Impartial observer? Harry Callahan 03-01-2024 - 06:37
  Re: He who speaks in the name of BOB2? Yeah, maybe...? But you come to AP because you like to post how much you hate trains, and I don't......... PFC Poon Tang 03-01-2024 - 20:04
  Re: PFC Poon Tang Harry Callahan 03-02-2024 - 02:46
  Re: PFC Poon Tang PFC Poon Tang 03-02-2024 - 03:40
  s the rail connected, Watsonville to S. Cruz? Bag of wind 03-02-2024 - 18:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com