Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-eighth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 03-08-2024 - 18:48

Returning to Canada for a moment, here's a photo I took on August 07, 1979, FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO, of VIA Rail Canada's "The Canadian" when it was still operating on the Canadian Pacific across the Rockies.

It is shown here running eastbound at Ottertail, British Columbia, a few miles west of Field. Here's a link to a GOOGLE Streetview image that shows what the area looks like today. As you can see, it's an easy location to get to for train photos. You can practically take the photo without having to get out of your car.

[maps.app.goo.gl]

Shortly after I made this trip, this photo was printed on the cover of an issue of "Wheel Clicks", which was/is a publication put out by the Pacific Railroad Society.

It's too bad this train still doesn't use the CP line across the mountains as the scenery and ruggedness of the railroad is more prominent than on its current route. There is nothing comparable to the Spiral Tunnels on the CN line via Jasper.

I rode "The Canadian" eastbound from Vancouver to Toronto this past February 23rd, and someone mentioned that the train has been operating on its current CN routing almost as long as it did on the original CP routing.

Ride that 1955 Budd stainless steel equipment while you can. It won't be around forever.

https://i.ibb.co/hRxS4yV/19790807-035.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-eighth Installment D. B. Arthur 03-08-2024 - 18:48
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-eighth Installment GRD 03-08-2024 - 22:47
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-forty-eighth Installment Ross Hall 03-09-2024 - 23:32

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com