Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy!
Author: Mitch Goldman
Date: 08-17-2009 - 18:17

Saturday, August 15th - Scranton, PA

Local man/railfan photographer (me) discovers not one, but two (new to me) rarely
seen photo angles of Steamtow in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

CN #3254 at Nay Aug Park
Canadian National #3254 charges through a rock cut, by the Roaring Brook just before entering
the West portal of the Nay Aug tunnel. This location has been on my list of places to shoot
for years and I only just now discovered "a way" to get there. Getting back was A LOT easier
then getting there - a hike which required leaping across a very swiftly moving body of water with only one hand free to clutch a rock outcropping that balanced my arrival on the other side. Well worth the trip!

BIG BOY #4012
Newly painted Union Pacific Big Boy #4012. I arrived early for the best light and having some
free time, managed to find a new (to me, at least) vantage point to capture a complete side
profile #4012 (less the tender). Had to lean way over the side of the parking lot wall to get
it. #4012 was painted, "black washed", you might say in the early part of July, 2009 along
with a crane and the IC engine by the front gate. Contractors have been brought in to paint
some of Steamtown's outdoor collection which has been long over due. Looking forward to seeing
#4012 when she's done (graphite smoke and fire box, lettering, number boards, ect).

Thanks for looking!

/Mitch

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! Mitch Goldman 08-17-2009 - 18:17
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! Jim Fitzgerald 08-17-2009 - 18:52
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! George Andrews 08-17-2009 - 19:25
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! Sam Reeves 08-18-2009 - 11:15
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! hepkema 08-18-2009 - 12:42
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! Bruce Kelly 08-18-2009 - 14:05
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! hepkema 08-18-2009 - 14:22
  Re: Scranton, PA?! You betcha! Rockcuts, and a Big Boy! Mitch 08-18-2009 - 16:54

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com