Re: More creosote
Author: almo
Date: 03-30-2007 - 19:24

Quite true jdm.

The approach trestle (north side) of the Fraser River Bridge in New Westminster, BC was affected by fire when I was 9 years old. After, it was determined the cause was arson. The thing didn't get replaced until just a few years ago (2004) which was nearly 20 years after the fire. I remember my father saving the newspaper clipping and it was determined then that the fire damage and creosote together severely altered how the trestle would rot- in effect extending the life by a few years. In fact, the trestle remains, just retaining walls and fill covered it since 2004.

The south side is basically built on flood plain, river delta (silt), and piled directly into the softer ground. This bridge is quite important, as the CN, CP, BNSF and SRY RailLink all sprout from each side. The swing bridge sees probably 30-40 movements a day, and has to open for almost everything on the water. This side is better for wear & tear, but lists towards the actual bridge about 10 degrees. The BNSF approach has a short section replaced by concrete, partially to keep this section mostly upright.

almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  More creosote Dick Seelye 03-29-2007 - 23:49
  Re: More creosote Tom Krummell 03-30-2007 - 07:27
  Re: More creosote Rich Hunn 03-30-2007 - 10:00
  Re: More creosote Tony Czuleger 03-30-2007 - 20:44
  Re: More creosote jdm 03-30-2007 - 16:46
  Re: More creosote almo 03-30-2007 - 19:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com