Re: N&W #46 at Kemper Street Aug 1952 - My Dad's Pic
Author: Tom McCann
Date: 10-20-2009 - 14:56

This same station is in use today as the Amtrak stop for Lynchburg, and just got busier as of Oct. 1. The Commonwealth of Virginia now funds a D.C.-Lynchburg extension of an NEC Regional train, northbound in the morning, southbound in the evening. Combined with the New York-New Orleans "Crescent", there is now double-daily service on this route.

The N&W J-Class 4-8-4 would have come off the train at Monroe, just north of Lynchburg. A SOU locomotive would have taken the train the rest of the way to D.C. Early in the train's lifetime, that locomotie would have been PS-4 4-6-2 #1380, the Southern's only streamlined (by Otto Kuhler) steam locomotive.

At Bristol, V.a, the west end of the N&W segment, the J would have come off in favor of SOU passenger diesels - EMD E-units or ALCO PAs or DLs. These would have taken the train the rest of the way to Memphis by way of Knoxville and Chattanooga.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  N&W #46 at Kemper Street Aug 1952 - My Dad's Pic Freericks 10-20-2009 - 07:31
  Re: N&W #46 at Kemper Street Aug 1952 - My Dad's Pic Nate Beal 10-20-2009 - 07:44
  Re: N&W #46 at Kemper Street Aug 1952 - My Dad's Pic Sam Reeves 10-20-2009 - 14:03
  Re: N&W #46 at Kemper Street Aug 1952 - My Dad's Pic Tom McCann 10-20-2009 - 14:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com