Author: Key Route Ken
Date: 11-02-2009 - 08:52

W.Nicholson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken,Did your dad have any thing to do with the
> trains on display at the Worlds Fair at Treasure
> Island in 1939.It was seeing that excibit that
> started my interest in Model trains

To answer your question--- YES, He Did !! THE GGIE exhibition on Treasure Island in 1939-1940 comprised a large variety of buildings and many other items. One of those buildings was known as "VACATIONLAND" ... It was in this building that several railroad companies had advertising and/or displays of some kind. The Southern Pacific exhibit was quite large and was known as the "Southern Pacific Roundhouse" ... Vic Shattock was invited to bring some of his "basement railroad" rolling stock including a couple of locomotives (that were painted and lettered for SP) to have on display... I also have the original letter that he received later on from "Leland Cutler", the top guy of the GGIE Exhibition, thanking him for his participation.
As a sidenote, the Santa Fe had a large diorama as well. It was put together by members of the
"Eastbay Model Engineers Society".. I have the written description and most of the photos of that great display in my Archives. When I wrote and posted a Ten Chapter mini-series on T.O. early this year on the history of EBMES, I posted all of those photos as well as many others.

To see these, check out this site here: [www.gsmrm.org]

Cheers.

KRK

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Worlds Fair W.Nicholson 11-02-2009 - 08:27
  Re: Worlds Fair fkrock 11-02-2009 - 08:52
  Re: Worlds Fair Key Route Ken 11-02-2009 - 08:52

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com