Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud
Author: David Dewey
Date: 11-22-2009 - 23:17

Have I ever ridden the McCloud? Every bit of it that was still down, and have hiked What wasn't down. I refilled the Bartle Tank a few years ago too--and it would have been used, but the valve chain broke. I've ridden the cab of 25 and 19, I made the cab awnings that are on the 25 too. I wasn't saying we'd have any of the incredible scenery and right of way, just that it would be nice to keep the locomotives together, instead of scattered about the countryside.
Keep the 25 in McCloud on display? So the Whistle can be cut off one night like the SP 1727 in Dunsmuir (along with some other "jewels")? Have the cab stripped of parts? No, I used to think we could keep engines on display intact, but no more. As much as the 25 deserves to be in McCloud (and in many ways, the 18 even more so, as that's the engine that carried the McCloud through the great depression) she should only stay there if she can run!
It kills me to see "my" childhood railroad die, but it would be even sadder to see the steamers scattered to the winds. Sadly, the YW can't be far behind either.
Steamcerely,
David Dewey
Native Jeffersonian
http://home.surewest.net/djdewey/mc19bartle.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud Jeff Moore 11-20-2009 - 16:00
  Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud David Dewey 11-20-2009 - 19:09
  Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud M. Harris 11-21-2009 - 10:26
  Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud Larry 11-21-2009 - 11:25
  Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud Travis 11-22-2009 - 19:07
  Re: Redding Record Searchlight Article on McCloud David Dewey 11-22-2009 - 23:17
  Re: More reminiscing on the McCloud Tom Moungovan 11-23-2009 - 07:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com