For all Donner fans
Author: JS
Date: 01-09-2010 - 20:23

Well, it finally happened to me, I have been reported as a trespasser...I saw a westbound stack train on my way west from Truckee. Decided to hike in via the old no 1 track to just above tunnel 35 at Yuba Pass to catch it. While waiting, I heard it get a 10mph slow order from the dispatcher because "the sledders are back" according to rmc, or cmc, or something to that extent (I don't know what those letters stand for but I guess its some type of rent a cop outfit). Anyway, the train comes, gives me a friendly wave and friendly horn. Minutes later I hear it report that there is a trespasser above tunnel 35 but nothing serious with the sledders. Upon hearing that I decided that the best thing to do was just leave. After all, I was in fact trespassing both via the old right of way to access the location and where I was standing for the picture.

I got back to the car only to find a dad and his two boys sledding down a little hill that ends about 10 feet from the mainline. I have heard that UP has had issues in this area with stupidity and this dad clearly takes the cake on that one. I'd like to say they are ruining it for us railfans, but we are trespassers too. So it goes I guess.

My point in posting this was just to give everyone a heads up that UP is having real problems at this location and it may just be a good area to avoid hanging around for too long. In my 10 years of taking pictures up on the Hill, this is the one and only incident I have ever had. Just thought all should be aware of it.

JS

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  For all Donner fans JS 01-09-2010 - 20:23
  Re: For all Donner fans Brian Bergtold 01-09-2010 - 21:10
  Re: For all Donner fans JS 01-09-2010 - 21:29
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans White-out camoflage 01-09-2010 - 21:11
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans Drew Jacksich 01-09-2010 - 21:39
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans Problems 01-09-2010 - 23:14
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans JS 01-10-2010 - 09:26
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans another set of eyes 01-10-2010 - 10:06
  Re: For all HARD CORE Donner fans Brian Bergtold 01-10-2010 - 10:19
  I was there on Friday.... John West 01-10-2010 - 19:47
  Re: For all Donner fans Soda Springs Kid 01-10-2010 - 11:11

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com