Re: One More
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 01-11-2010 - 21:50

Thanks for sharing. I think these may have been spotted up at the top end of the 'B' Yard. There was an area near the North Main Track, RR west of the sweeping curve, and I think it was close to where Rialto Avenue crossed, where power was sometimes seen. This was before my time, and I'm judging this by other pix I've seen. Also, the high-tension power lines- the towers in the back of your second posting- ran roughly parallel to the B Yard, but at a slight angle. They are still there, and can be seen crossing through the Autoveyor that is between the Short Way (MT4) and Mains One through Three. As a side note, the Ice plant was at the top end of the B Yard, on the west side of the tracks. Jack Delano took many pix of this area and others, along the AT&SF Coast Lines during WWII for the Gov. Look up his poorly scanned negatives at the Library of Congress website.

Now, having said all that, it would not surprise me one bit to find that deadline was indeed in the A Yard, but I'm pretty confident the power lines are a significant landmark. There weren't any other around to my knowledge. 'A' Yard is the yard that was directly in front of the Shops, between them and the Division Offices (depot). It is still called A and B yards, albeit sans large shop complex.
Another good source to check this info. would be Mr. Glen Icanberry.

San Bernardino is spelled like this. It's where I grew up and have some great foamin' memories and now some good Kodachromes and B&W from the mid to late 60's through the late 70's from my dad.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Nine gators in the San Bernadino fog Steve Sloan 01-11-2010 - 21:19
  One More Steve Sloan 01-11-2010 - 21:21
  Re: One More Steven D. Johnson 01-11-2010 - 21:50
  Excellent Information Steve Sloan 01-12-2010 - 06:26
  Re: Excellent Information George Andrews 01-12-2010 - 10:28
  Re: Excellent Information Steve Sloan 01-12-2010 - 11:14
  Re: Excellent Information Mike Stimpson 01-12-2010 - 16:04
  Re: Excellent Information Bruce Holleran 01-12-2010 - 18:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com