North Coast Limited, 4-68
Author: Steve Thompson
Date: 02-12-2010 - 18:34

I was very lucky to have the chance to ride the NP's premier train, the North Coast Limited, from East Auburn to St. Paul and return, during spring vacation in 1968. I had a pre-WWII Rollei, a roll of Agfachrome slide film and 3 rolls of Tri-X, along with several rolls of 8mm movie film. My best shots were the movies, but I got a few good black and whites as well. Here's my favorite.

http://earthseaimagery.com/ncl-4-1968sbt.jpg

North Coast Limited, April 1968 at Pasco Washington, eastbound. Photographed from the dome around midnight at Pasco, as the Portland cars are added to the train. My brother and I had a 2 bed roomette, very cozy most of the time, although we really spent a lot of the time in the dome. We got on the train in East Auburn on a balmy 68 degree spring day, we got of the train in St. Paul, -7 and blowing! The 2nd night, out in the badlands, we'd had the vent open to let fresh air in the room during the day. It froze open at -15, the steam heat line also froze. Then, we hit a ........SKUNK! We spent the night in the dome with blankets! At 17, this just was part of the adventure.

Steve

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  North Coast Limited, 4-68 Steve Thompson 02-12-2010 - 18:34
  Re: North Coast Limited, 4-68 Photobob 02-12-2010 - 20:28
  Re: North Coast Limited, 4-68 Railpax71 02-12-2010 - 20:47
  Re: North Coast Limited, 4-68 WAF 02-13-2010 - 12:22
  Baggage carts at Pasco d 02-12-2010 - 22:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com