Re: Will your railroad crossing be silenced?
Author: Richard Elgenson
Date: 03-19-2010 - 16:27

Mike,

I took a look at the OCTA Quiet Zone page and there are 2 steps to getting a quiet zone. First, Metrolink is working on something like 52 highway-rail grade crossings in Orange County for the 30 minute service from Fullerton to Laguna Niguel. After that is accomplished, any city which wants a quiet zone has to apply with the FRA. 88% of 70 million dollars is a lot of money for OCTA to provide. While I am a supporter of Metrolink and Amtrak, OCTA has cut a lot of their bus service which has impacted me personally. While I have a nice fast late model foreign sports car, I find it convenient to take OCTA to work. Last June, my favorite time AM bus was moved later by 18 minutes which necessitated me taking my bicycle to complete the last 1/2 mile of my commute in a timely fashion. For the direction home, the bus nearest to my work ending time terminates 4 miles short of my home instead of running the full route. Later full route buses get me home much later. Until further notice, I throw the bike in the back of a fellow employees Toyota pick-up and we use the 91 freeway carpool lane from the City of Orange to western OC near my drivers house and I leisurely ride the last 3 miles home. 40 minutes to get home via carpooling versus 65 or more by bus. I hear a lot of complaining on the OCTA buses regarding the cutbacks. 30 minute Metrolink service in OC does nothing for me nor fellow bus riders. I accept the fact that OCTA cutbacks may force me to drive my car on a daily commute basis.

I have noticed the crossing construction along Orange-Olive Road and xings at Taft, and Katella.

It will be a long while before any other OC cities actually have a quiet zone.

Corrections and further knowledgeable information is welcomed to this discussion.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Will your railroad crossing be silenced? Mike in OC 03-19-2010 - 10:31
  Re: Will your railroad crossing be silenced? Richard Elgenson 03-19-2010 - 16:27
  Re: Will your railroad crossing be silenced? Dr Zarkoff 03-19-2010 - 17:10
  Re: Will your railroad crossing be silenced? douglasm 03-19-2010 - 18:38

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com