Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia)
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 05-03-2010 - 12:51

The (sub)urban surroundings of my youth were along the Surf Line in Orange County, California, with occasional OCTD bus rides to do some urban/industrial railfanning around Long Beach or a San Diegan ride to spend a day around Fullerton or LAUPT. As for Philly, I only visited there a couple of times with fellow R&R staffers Jim Boyd and Mike Del Vecchio about 20 years ago. We gravitated toward the Norristown line because the Brill Bullets were in their final days. Much like your first two shots, Mitch, it was an amazing rollercoaster profile carrying commuters up and down and around through crowded communities, but a bit more suburban and in some places rural compared with your downtown skyline scenes. Beautiful pictures, Mitch. I love how you incorporated some of the local decor. I deeply enjoy the mountains, deserts, and wide-open wonder of the interior West, but there's a lot I miss about the East, one of which is the smell and taste of authentic Italian pizza in the middle of rush hour on a humid summer afternoon alongside some commuter line in NJ, NY, or PA. Thanks for the pics, and for reminding us to keep our horizons broad.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) Mitch Goldman 05-03-2010 - 10:19
  Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) cpcoast 05-03-2010 - 11:26
  Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) Bruce Kelly 05-03-2010 - 12:51
  Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) Jim Quigg 05-03-2010 - 16:51
  Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) Freericks 05-03-2010 - 19:05
  Re: East Coast Doings... Life in the Big City (Philadelphia) KEN SCOTT 05-03-2010 - 19:30

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com