Re: Aerial pics of Drawbridge, Calif.
Author: Cris Benton
Date: 06-21-2010 - 11:20

The aerial photographs referenced by Tim are taken by a kite-lofted camera. I have been photographing the South bay Salt ponds along the rail corridor for several years now and really enjoy exploring that environment. You can read more about the project on my Hidden Ecologies WWW site:

Hidden Ecologies

My kite aerial photography rig uses a radio-controlled cradle to aim the camera. When a train goes by and I have a camera aloft I often try to pan and shoot the train as it passes - a proficiency drill of sorts. You can find a number of these train shots in my Flickr photostream:

KAP views of trains in the South bay

with some being views of the ACE train:

[www.flickr.com]

Regarding permissions, the Don Edwards National Wildlife folks are admirably purposeful in protecting wildlife habitat. The area in question is a nesting ground for the threatened Snowy Plover as well as other sensitive species. Drawbridge itself and other areas of the South Bay are off limits to the public. The permitting process has been quite rigorous and includes detailed instructions regarding when and where I can take kite aerial photographs. I have appreciated their rigor, advice, and cooperation.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Aerial pics of Drawbridge, Calif. Tim 06-20-2010 - 16:44
  Re:? permit to fly a kite? pedo viejo 06-20-2010 - 20:15
  Re: Re:? permit to fly a kite? Unfortuante Bystander 06-21-2010 - 09:22
  Re: Aerial pics of Drawbridge, Calif. Cris Benton 06-21-2010 - 11:20
  Re: Aerial pics of Drawbridge, Calif. Stevo del Applegato 06-21-2010 - 18:48

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com