Siskiyou Rail Line
Author: Siskiyou Rail Fan
Date: 06-24-2010 - 09:47

Yesterday Hogger71 filed a response to my news story about Roseburg Forest Products talking with CORP about moving freight from Weed, California to Dillard, Oregon. No where in my story did I say there was a "Signed Deal". I talked directly with RFP President & CEO Allyn Ford about the "State of the Timner Industry" and about those talks with CORP. I have the MP3 recording of the entire interview and will be happy to send it to anyone that requests it from me at www.bluegooserailroad@hotmail.com . I also received a call from CORP General Manager Steve Hefley to confirm the information I received from Mr. Ford. As to the incorect spelling of Siskiyou.....the way I put it in the header was the way "Fortruss Innvestment Group's" marketing folks pronounce it with the east coast dialect "Sis-ah-ki-yous".

You can read my entry on 6-22-2010 and there is not one reference to the Yreka Western Railroad or Timber Products. As far as my interest in the Yreka Western, it dates back to 1970 with past owner Willis Kyle. I have made my money the old fashoned way..I earned it with working with Mr. Kyle in the production of many projects including the movie "Emperior of the North" on Mr. Kyle's "Oregon Pacific & Eastern Railroad", TV commercials for the OP&E and the YW, The Motion Picture "Stand By Me" and was asked by Mr. Kyle to continue my duties when steam engine #19 left the OP&E and was returned to the "Yreka Western" in the late 80's. Before the year 2000 I had given the YW more than $95,000.00 per year of in kind advertising for the tourist train operation and was thanked by past YW Manager Larry Bacon for the $35,000 per month donation in TV time. I still have a dog in the race at the YW in working with long time Yreka, California resident O.J. Lebaron and his continued interests in the YW.
Here is the RFP story, as filed on 6-22-10:

Sisakiyou Rail Traffic
Author: Siskiyou Rail Fan
Date: 06-22-2010 - 10:40

A local timber company may soon see the light at the end of the tunnel, literally.
Roseburg Forest Products are in negotiations with Central Oregon & Pacific Railroad about hauling freight once again over the Siskiyou mountain range in Southern Oregon and Northern California.
Allyn Ford, President & CEO for RFP says that if everything works out, loads of logs may be arriving in Dillard by rail later this summer.
It’s been more than 2 years since freight moved over the Siskiyou’s on a regular basis. CORP notified shippers that it was to expensive to operate over the mountain range without a rate increase.
Since that time Roseburg Forest Products and a number of other shippers filed a petition with the Surface Transportation Board. In the filing the shippers wanted another rail carrier to operate and move their freight over the Siskiyou’s. That petition is still pending.
Recently CORP conducted a freight test run over the Siskiyou’s using their new cost effective GP-20 locomotives. The test train pulled about 16 loads of lumber and logs over the mountain range. That same group of locomotives may be used on a regular basis to pull some of RFP freight over the Siskiyou’s if a deal can be struck with CORP.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Siskiyou Rail Line Siskiyou Rail Fan 06-24-2010 - 09:47
  Re: Siskiyou Rail Line Cordes 06-24-2010 - 22:34
  Re: Siskiyou Rail Line Hogger71 06-30-2010 - 16:12
  Re: Siskiyou Rail Line Peter 07-19-2010 - 16:14

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com