Class 1 Conductor and Engineer pay scale
Author: Inquiry
Date: 07-13-2010 - 09:36

I was recently under consideration for a temporary conductor's job on a Class 2 owned by a Class 1. I have done this type of work before a few times over the last few years, and have worked for the same Class 1 before which I believe was not part of the national contract.

Typically this temporary work has guaranteed $250-$300 per work day plus per diem/expenses/lodging, either 6 days per week minimum or required to be available for work. I would imagine the number of days guaranteed would now be different due to hours of service changes.

The agency first claimed these would be Class 1 wage scale, but when the offer came it was for about $157 "per day" reduced to 85% (around $133). Even considering a "day" under this definition would be 8 hours before overtime (is it still 130 miles?), that means the pay rate would be almost $20 an hour reduced to $16 and change at 85% - or $275 reduced to $233 for a 12 hour shift.

Aren't Class 1 wages under national contract much higher than this? I had heard the 75% starting rate was changed to 85% for the first three years (5% added back per year to reach 100%).

I know there are those who may think I should be grateful to be offered any job in this economy - but I can't justify living in a motel 1,500 miles from home for at least 90 days, working the bottom of the extra board (lowest seniority = worst jobs) only for 85% as a "temporary job".

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Class 1 Conductor and Engineer pay scale Inquiry 07-13-2010 - 09:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com