raton pass
Author: John McGaugh
Date: 08-17-2010 - 19:13

Two weeks ago I went from Flagstaff to Trinidad Colorado on AMTRAK. The only delay we had was just out of Gallup, water had been over the tracks and we had to wait for them to inspect the bridge. Before and after Lamy and after counting 12 opperating sets of semaphores I stopped counting, there were a few more. In trinidad I rented a car from J and J motors which was near and in full view of the tracks. They told me they were going to build a new AMTRAK station there very soon. That might mean they will keep that route for awhile. They also said, they still see BNSF returning empty coal trains over the pass and through Trinidad. I also went on to Canyon City and took a cab ride into the Royal Gorge. A very nice trip and the first time in the cab of a F7. We passed two trains comming from the sand pit, a Rock and Rail and a BNSF with several cars behind it. I took some nice pictures but don't know how to post them. The trip back to Flagstaff on AMTRAK was very long and very boring by the time we got to Flag everyone was asleep. This was during the week, I was very surprised to see how many people used the train between Trinidad and Flagstaff. Several people got off and boarded at every stop. My personal opinion is that AMTRAK will keep using this route for a very long time.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  raton pass John McGaugh 08-17-2010 - 19:13
  Re: raton pass Graham Buxton 08-17-2010 - 19:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com