A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's
Author: Steve Sloan
Date: 10-02-2010 - 19:13

http://homepage.mac.com/s_sloan/trains/sp/_images0001/sp1100_0001.jpg

Photo One: A cow without its calf, SP TR6A 1100 "Lil Lulu" in the now gone Links Yard near Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on December 28, 1973. This engine ended up in Portola at the railroad museum there. The unique steam engine rear headlight was sadly lost along the way.

A bit of history as per OPRRMS:
The unit was built in November 1950 as EMD 1600A, half of the TR6 demonstrator set. It and its B unit, 1600B, were immediately sent to demonstrate on the SP, specifically on the NWP. Apparently impressed with the relatively high tractive effort and short wheel-base trucks (much easier on the track than the Baldwin roadswitchers then in use), SP purchased the locomotive, plus orderd three additional sets. The 1600A&B became SP 4600 and 4700, initially just re-stenciled but still in red and maroon demonstrator colors. All four locomotives were initially used on the NWP and SP's Schellville Branch. Sometime in late 1953, SP decided to swap the A units with dynamic brake-equipped SW8s. The necessary work was done in early 1954 (probably at Sacramento, but need confirmation). The TR6 A units then gravitated to the LA Division switcher pool. The B units and their new SW8 mates returned to the NWP and Schellville Branch. The 4600 (which became the 1100) was swapped with the 4607.

http://homepage.mac.com/s_sloan/trains/sp/_images0001/sp1102_0001.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/s_sloan/trains/sp/_images0001/sp1102_0002.jpg

Photos 2 and 3: Sister SP TR6A was in better light in East Oakland, CA in Feb. 1975. Here you can see some of the unique details on the rear of the cabs of these engines.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement and comments many of you have been giving me. It has made a huge difference. I hope you enjoy these photos from a time long gone. Comments, information and corrections are appreciated.

~Steve Sloan

- - - - - -

If you like the photos I have been posting I have a train photo Web site that these are added to that have many similar photos few of which have been published. You can click on the links below to see more:

* Home Page of Website
* Southern Pacific Section
* My Train Photo Twitter Feed

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's Steve Sloan 10-02-2010 - 19:13
  Re: A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's Jeff Sloan 10-02-2010 - 19:46
  Re: A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's MP 44.7 10-02-2010 - 20:30
  Re: A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's Steve Sloan 10-02-2010 - 20:56
  Re: A couple of SP LuLus in the 70's SLOCONDR 10-03-2010 - 10:02

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com