Re: Port Chicago/CNWS
Author: OldPoleBurner
Date: 10-28-2010 - 22:26

I lived in Concord for most of of the last 57 years, and can't think of any such place; especially since all the public roads through the "Tidal Areas" were closed some years ago. The Navy owns it all in a radius of a mile or so all around the loading docks and rail yards.

The west side is entirely blocked off by the gated Tesoro Refinery. And don't even think of parking on public roads at Clyde (north side of Concord); or near the eastern fence at Nichols. You WILL be questioned by the Sheriff, or the FEDS guarding the place. And the CC Sheriff Deputies are very good at being very nasty. You can't see much from there anyway.

So that leaves a boat way out in the river, and there ain't much railroadin' to see from there. Or perhaps - as a last resort, there's hiking way way up on the hill they used to call "Bay Point" (Port Chicago's original name) a mile away from any occasional rail action. I can't think of how you'd even get access anyhow. So where is this "public place".

Besides, what's the point. And can you just imagine what will happen when the military police notice some guy up on the hill with binoculars and high power camera lenses watching them. 'Taint worth it.

It's just as well. We can always watch Drew Jacksich pictures he got while the area was still open to the public. Besides, the trains were much more interesting back then anyway!

P.S.-- And speaking of watching trains from a boat -- If I had one, I would anchor just off shore near the Eckley crossover on the Cal-P - a bit less than a mile east of Crockett. From there you get a closeup view of 44 passenger trains and a dozen or so freight trains per day. And did I mention the panoramic view as those trains approach.

Best Part - who the hell can bother you out there!

OPB

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Port Chicago/CNWS Caboverbob 10-25-2010 - 18:34
  Re: Port Chicago/CNWS Dean L. McLeod 10-27-2010 - 06:34
  Re: Port Chicago/CNWS Curtis R. Milburn 10-27-2010 - 20:00
  Re: Port Chicago/CNWS Dean L. McLeod 10-28-2010 - 09:14
  Re: Port Chicago/CNWS OldPoleBurner 10-28-2010 - 22:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com