Sierra #3 Cab
Author: Kevin Madore
Date: 11-02-2010 - 09:40

I've read a number of threads here in the past on some of the Sierra Locomotives and thought I'd share a couple of pics I shot recently at Railtown 1897.

Sierra #3 has always been a special engine to me. When I was a kid back in the 60s, she really sparked my interest in steam engines with her appearances on TV programs such as "Petticoat Junction" and "Iron Horse". For most of my life, I've wanted to see this engine run. It is unfortunate that it took me 47 years to get around to it. Of course, she's been out of service for the last 14.

I was very impressed with the work that George Sapp and the crew have done with her. She looks almost brand new in that tasteful, gloss black paint scheme. While I wasn't to be blessed with a lot of sunshine on the day of my visit, I did manage a few decent pictures of her. I had met George in Durango a few weeks earlier, when he was working on Dan Markoff's team running Eureka. After he and the crew had performed a run-by for the patrons on the excursion that I rode, George asked if I'd like to visit the front office. What a great cab. Very roomy for a small engine....and extremely clean. Cleanest cab ride I've ever had...there's something to be said for oil-burners.

I would love to go back there and photograph #3 out on the line with a vintage mixed train. Any charter operators out there listening? Sign me up!

To the photos:

On the turntable at Jamestown: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=343573&nseq=2

Passing the fire patrol at Rock Quarry siding: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=343693&nseq=1

Cab shot running up the hill to Jamestown: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=343703&nseq=0

Would love to hear any comments from folks who have been around the "Three-Spot", especially those who have any interesting stories from the movie days.

Thanks for looking!

/Kevin :o)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Sierra #3 Cab Kevin Madore 11-02-2010 - 09:40
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab Link Monkey 11-02-2010 - 22:22
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab Tom Moungovan 11-03-2010 - 05:12
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab BOB R 11-03-2010 - 19:18
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab Tony J Czuleger 11-03-2010 - 20:52
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab Kevin Madore 11-05-2010 - 06:34
  Re: Sierra #3 Cab Tom Moungovan 11-05-2010 - 10:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com