Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals?
Author: SP5103
Date: 12-12-2010 - 08:22

I think there will be some changes - because after all, isn't change inevitable?

I don't think anyone can argue that ocean transport has the lowest costs. How much traffic is diverted will depend on how much Panama charges for the big ships, if the sail time vs. rail land bridge time is acceptable, and dodging the hurricane season. There is some traffic that will stay on the west coast due to regional demand, but I haven't heard much noise about ships to any gulf ports, just the northeast. Since they are already using the west coast to sort and consolidate inbound containers for fnal US delivery, will it make sense for companies to ship one container to the west coast, another to the gulf, and more to the northeast?

I am guessing there will be a shift of some traffic that is not time sensitive from west coast to east coast ports due to a lower cost. I think they will continue to have trouble in LA-LA land to pay for their trench. And will any of us have any money left to buy anything by then?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? AP reader 12-11-2010 - 18:16
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? Arlen Sheldrake 12-11-2010 - 19:25
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? SP5103 12-12-2010 - 08:22
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? Bill Root 12-12-2010 - 09:42
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? mook 12-12-2010 - 15:13
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? mook 12-12-2010 - 15:14
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? Domestic 12-12-2010 - 13:16
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? AP reader 12-12-2010 - 22:26
  Re: Wider Panama Canal impact on West Coast intermodals? J 12-13-2010 - 04:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com