Re: North Yakima, WA
Author: almo
Date: 07-06-2007 - 22:45

It is true that Yakima was where Union Gap is now. Many buildings were moved to "North Yakima" because of the NP station being built on the outskirts of town. It was a move initiated by Northern Pacific to protest the higher than reasonable price of the land at the time.

I had visited Yakima, Wa in the summer of 2003. The downtown mall was a shell of it's former glory, especially due to the interest in opening a mall in Union Gap. Got lots of clothes and shoes at a "fire sale". It's only a few miles from the city core, but urban sprall is shaping the way commercial trade is handled around Yakima. Union Gap has the main mall for Yakima. Costco (soon to be upgraded in a new location) in the "Gap"; Home Depot, Lowe's, Kmart and other major stores are south of the downtown. Looks like a new renaissance for Union Gap, and maybe where the multi-storied buildings will be built next. It also helps with the wider roads that truck traffic can maneuver in, that wouldn't be a reality if the big-box stores were right in the heart of the city.

Downtown Yakima (north) is really lacking in personality. Even walking downtown in the weekly farmer's market on third and Yakima ave. is quite concerning. I persomally think that it's because the jail and courts are right beside the old train station (good restaurant in the depot). Low income housing fills the streets there, fruit warehouses beside the tracks. It plain isn't where one wants to spend their leisurly time in or around (even the average tourist).

I travel there every six to eight weeks. I will usually spend up to a week in and around town. Actually spent my first Fourth of July there this week. Spectacular! Small town pride was everywhere at the fairgrounds, too bad I couldn't find any in the downtown district.

almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  North Yakima, WA Ross Hall 07-06-2007 - 17:51
  Re: North Yakima, WA johnwvan 07-06-2007 - 18:22
  Re: North Yakima, WA Dick Seelye 07-06-2007 - 22:30
  Re: North Yakima, WA johnwvan 07-06-2007 - 22:39
  Re: North Yakima, WA almo 07-06-2007 - 22:45

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com